October is American Pharmacists Month. This is a great time to celebrate the pharmacist profession and connect with patients and the community. Here are some suggestions based on the American Pharmacists Association’s event page.
- Decorate the pharmacy with posters, banners and balloons to announce it’s American Pharmacists Month.
- Show appreciation to patients during American Pharmacists month by offering treats and handing out promotional items, such as refrigerator magnets, pens or tote bags, with the pharmacy name and phone number on them.
- Educate community members on medication management and safe storage.
- Have a “Medication Check-Up Day” and invite patients to participate by bringing in a list of medications they take, both prescription and OTC, so that pharmacists can check and alert patients to any potential drug interactions.
- Schedule health events for pharmacy patients and others in the community, such as flu shot clinics or screenings for diabetes, cholesterol or high blood pressure.
- Reach out to seniors in the community by holding special events where they can learn more about Medicare and the benefits they are eligible for.
- Reach out to students and teachers who want to learn more about a day in the life of a pharmacist.
October brings opportunities not only to appreciate pharmacists and all the work they do in the community, but to reach out and boost publicity. If you participate in American Pharmacists Month or want to see how other pharmacies have celebrated, use the hashtag #APhM2017 on social media.